Here are some of the systems and practices that we encourage and support:
- Online real-time reporting
- Kamar parent portal - access for parents to student's key academic and attendance data
- Deans who progress with their year group
- Mentor teachers who progress with their mentor class from Year 9 to Year 12
- Small mentor groupings at Year nine and ten (12-14 students)
- Introductory phone calls and emails by mentor teachers at the beginning of the year
- Subject teacher contacts home when issues arise -"No surprises”
- Year 9 Meet and Greet
- Year 9 and 10 Learning Conversations twice a year (Term1 and Term 4)
- Attitude to Learning Grades emailed home once a term
- Year 11, 12 and 13 parent-teacher report evenings held once a year in Term 2
- Whanau Support Group
- Facebook communication
- Weekly Principal's news on the website
- Information evenings, eg: NCEA, Learning Support,Literacy etc
- Cultural evenings and celebrations
- Parent involvement in sports and cultural groups
All parents and caregivers are given access to the Kamar Parent Portal. Kamar is our Student Management System and shares real-time timely feedback on the progress a student is making. We encourage parents and caregivers to visit this site regularly to view daily attendance, academic results, including NCEA progress, student timetables, notices, groups, awards and contact details.
Early in Term 1 there is a ‘Meet and Greet’ evening for Year 9 parents and caregivers. This evening is an informal opportunity for you to meet your child's mentor and subject teachers.
Attitude to Learning reports are emailed home four times a year. These are guides to the progress that your child is making. They document their effort, behaviour, readiness to learn and completion of work.
Year 9 and 10 students have 30 minute Learning Conversations with their Mentor Teacher and family in Term 1 and again in Term 4.
At HVHS, we believe students’ interests are best served when we work together, in a partnership with our parents and whanau. Communication is the key to happy schooling.