At HVHS, we believe students’ interests are best served when we work together, in a partnership with our parents and whanau. Communication is the key to happy schooling.
Here are some of the systems and practices that we encourage and support:
- Online real-time reporting
- Deans who progress with their year group
- Mentor teachers who usually progress with their class from Year 9 to Year 12
- Small mentor groupings (12-14)
- Introductory phone calls and emails home at the beginning of the year
- Contact with home when issues arise - "No surprises"
- Year 9 Meet and Greet
- Year 9 and 10 Learning Conversations twice a year
- Attitude to Learning Grades every term
- Year 11, 12 and 13 parent-teacher report evenings held twice a year in Term 2
- Whanau Support Group and Whanau Steering Group
- Kamar parent portal - access for parents to student's key academic and attendance data
- Weekly Principal's comment
- Information evenings, eg: NCEA
- Cultural Evenings
- Parent involvement in sports and cultural groups.
All parents and caregivers are given access to Kamar Parent Portal. Kamar is our Student Management System and shares real-time timely feedback on the progress a student is making. We encourage parents and caregivers to visit this site at least once a week to view daily attendance, academic results, including NCEA progress, student timetables, notices, groups, awards and contact details.
Early in Term 1 there is a ‘Meet and Greet’ evening for Year 9 parents and caregivers. This evening is an informal opportunity for you to meet your child's mentor and subject teachers.
Attitude to Learning reports are emailed home four times a year. These are guides to the progress that your child is making. They document their effort, behaviour, readiness to learn and completion of work.
Year 9 and 10 students have 30 minute Learning Conversations with their Mentor Teacher and family in Term 1 and again in Term 4.