Year 9 and Year 10
Students choose a context and complete a range of challenges associated with it. https://sciencebadges.co.nz/science-badges/
Currently this is only for those working towards their science badges. This club spends time on Science investigations and problem solving and runs on Tuesdays at lunchtime in B7 every second week - odd week numbers.
The focus of this club is all things Horticultural. In 2021 we had our biggest intake of Year Nine students ever with over 60 signing up to join.
To understand the sorts of things we do the following is a list of some of our activities so far this year:
- Harvesting, drying and saving seed from the coriander plants.
- Lots of weeding overgrown plots from the summer
- Corn day, the sweet corn grown over the holiday break was harvested and cooked
- Walking to the Hutt River bed to collect Fennel seed, these were dried and on wet days we have been separating the stalks from the seeds.
- Each club member has their own section of garden bed where they have planted radishes, broad beans, coriander and other bits and pieces.
- Eating Tomatoes
- Eating Strawberries
- Watering the gardens and each other.
- Transplanting seedlings.
- Weeding potted seedlings from the cold frame.
- Green fingers meets on Wednesdays at lunchtime. Contact Richard Edward for more details
ICAS (end of August, entries close end of July)
Epro8 (September. Entries already closed)
Kiwi Science competition - Run end of Term 2. Entries already closed
STEMM quiz - May 20th
Australian chemistry quiz - July 29th. Entries close mid June
Year 11, Year 12, and Year 13
Field trips or open days.
Rotary science and technology forum in Auckland - applications open August and the forum is held in January holidays.
Innovative young minds program (Y11/12 females) - applications close start of April and the programme is held in the July holidays.
Biology Olympiad - applications close end of July and the Olympiad is held in July of the following year.
Chemistry Olympiad: Applications close around September and Olympiad is held in July of the following year.
Biology: B12 on Thursdays 3:30 - 4:30
Chemistry: B7 on Wednesday 3:30 - 4:30
Physics: B5 on Wednesday and Thursday 3:30 - 4:30
Contact Richard Maxwell (firstname.lastname@example.org) for further information.