The purpose of the scheme is to avoid overcrowding at the school and to:
- maximise learning opportunities for students
- provide the opportunity for students who reside within reasonable proximity of the school to be afforded priority access
- maintain a preferred optimum roll in the vicinity of 1,720.
To determine entry to all year levels, advance enrolment will be necessary.
Students whose usual place of residence at the time they start at school is in the home zone and who seek enrolment, have an absolute right to be enrolled at Hutt Valley High School. The board may require proof of residency.
The home zone is:
Northern Boundary: That area south of a line drawn through the following points and including the streets mentioned starting at the point where, on the Belmont Hill, Normandale Road ends then south to Tirohanga Road, along Tirohanga Road and including Kekeno Street to the southern junction of Tirohanga Road and Matuhi Street, then in an easterly direction to the Hutt River to a point opposite the Boulcott Golf Course, proceeding down the Hutt River to a point opposite Melling Road, then along Melling Road (including all odd house numbers on High Street lower than 529 and all even house numbers on High Street lower than 508), Brunswick Street, Kings Crescent (including all odd house numbers from 115 down and all even house numbers lower than and including 122), Epuni Street (including all odd house numbers on Witako Street lower than and including 47 and all even house numbers on Witako Street lower than and including 44), Oxford Terrace (including all house numbers up to and including 79), Waterloo Road (including all house numbers on Cambridge Terrace 1-100), Waiwhetu Road (including all odd house numbers lower than 173a and all even house numbers lower than 224), Rossiter Avenue to the southern end of Wyndrum Avenue (including all odd house numbers from 71 up and all even house numbers higher than and including 62), all houses on Riverside Drive lower than 295 are included. The boundary continues to the east to the boundary between the Eastern and Wainuiomata Wards of the Hutt City, then following the ward boundary south-west until it meets with the Harbour Ward boundary and continuing along that boundary until it meets the Wellington harbour.
Western and Southern Boundary: Horokiwi Road (including van der Velden Way) and the northern edge of the Wellington Harbour.
N.B. Any street whose only exit or exits is on to a street named in the zone as defined above shall be deemed part of the Hutt Valley High School zone.
Out of Zone Students
Application must be made by the due date.
The order of priority in which applicants who live outside the school’s home zone are to be offered places at the school is as follows:
- first priority must be given to any applicant who is accepted for enrolment in the Supported Learning Centre;
- second priority must be given to any applicant who is the sibling of a current student of the school;
- third priority must be given to any applicant who is the sibling of a former student of the school;
- fourth priority must be given to any applicant who is a child of a former student of the school
- fifth priority must be given to any applicant who is a child of an employee of the Board of Trustees of the school;
- sixth priority must be given to all other applicants.
If the number of out of zone applicants exceeds the places available, students will be selected by ballot (except in the case of the Supported Learning Centre).