Enrolling at Hutt Valley High School
Welcome to parents, caregivers and whānau wishing to enrol their students at Hutt Valley High School.
Hutt Valley High School is limited in the number of places it is able to offer students at each level. As a consequence, we operate an enrolment scheme. All students who live in-zone who apply are accepted regardless of the roll size. In-zone applications can be submitted at any time. Please note, we are not accepting any out-of-zone enrolments for 2023.
Enrolments for 2024 open on Thursday 1 June 2023. Please complete the online application by clicking on the blue form below.
Key Dates for Students Applying for 2024
2024 Out-of-Zone Application Dates - Year 9
Monday 24 July 2023- Closing date for applications
Monday 31 July 2023 - Ballot for placements in Years 9
Thursday 3 August 2023 - Parents notified of the outcome of the ballot
2024 Out-of-Zone Application Dates - Year 10-13
Monday 16 October 2023 - Closing date for applications
Friday 20 October 2023 - Ballot for placements in Years 10-13
Wednesday 25 October 2023 - Parents notified of the outcome of the ballot
For enrolment enquiries, please contact Lesley Mackay at email@example.com.
Ballots for Out-Of-Zone Student Places
The order of priority in which applicants who live outside a school’s home zone are to be offered places at the school is as follows:
(1) first priority must be given to any applicant who is accepted for enrolment in a special programme run by the school (not applicable as Hutt Valley School does not have a special programme);
(2) second priority must be given to any applicant who is the sibling of a current student of the school;
(3) third priority must be given to any applicant who is the sibling of a former student of the school;
(4) fourth priority must be given to any applicant who is a child of a former student of the school;
(5) fifth priority must be given to any applicant who is a child of an employee of the Board of the school;
(6) sixth priority must be given to all other applicants.
If the number of out-of-zone applicants exceeds the places available, students will be selected by ballot (except in the case of special programmes, where the criteria in the enrolment scheme apply).
If a ballot is required for Year 9 students that ballot will be held on Monday 31 July 2023. Parents will be informed of the outcome of that ballot within three school days of the ballot being held. Parents will have 14 days to respond to any offer of a place.
If a ballot is required for Years 10 to 13 students that ballot will be held on Friday 20 October 2023 and parents will be informed of the outcome within three school days of the ballot being held.
School Enrolment Zone
Hutt Valley High School Home Zone
Northern Boundary: That area south of a line drawn through the following points and including the streets mentioned starting at the point where, on the Belmont Hill, Normandale Road ends then south to Tirohanga Road, along Tirohanga Road and including Kekeno Street to the southern junction of Tirohanga Road and Matuhi Street, then in an easterly direction to the Hutt River to a point opposite the Boulcott Golf Course, proceeding down the Hutt River to a point opposite Melling Road, then along Melling Road (including all odd house numbers on High Street lower than 529 and all even house numbers on High Street lower than 508), Brunswick Street, Kings Crescent (including all odd house numbers from 115 down and all even house numbers lower than and including 122), Epuni Street (including all odd house numbers on Witako Street lower than and including 47 and all even house numbers on Witako Street lower than and including 44), Oxford Terrace (including all house numbers up to and including 79), Waterloo Road (including all house numbers on Cambridge Terrace 1-100), Waiwhetu Road (including all odd house numbers lower than 173a and all even house numbers lower than 224), Rossiter Avenue to the southern end of Wyndrum Avenue (including all odd house numbers from 71 up and all even house numbers higher than and including 62), all houses on Riverside Drive lower than 295 are included. The boundary continues to the east to the boundary between the Eastern and Wainuiomata Wards of the Hutt City, then following the ward boundary south-west until it meets with the Harbour Ward boundary and continuing along that boundary until it meets the Wellington harbour.
Western and Southern Boundary: Horokiwi Road (including van der Velden Way) and the northern edge of the Wellington Harbour.
N.B. Any street whose only exit or exits is onto a street named in the zone as defined above shall be deemed part of the Hutt Valley High School zone.
Read the 2024 Prospectus
The 2024 Prospectus provides helpful information on Hutt Valley High School for parents/caregivers who are interested in enrolling in 2024.
The 2024 Prospectus includes:
- Welcome from Principal Denise Johnson
- Information on the enrolment process
- Key enrolment dates for students applying to study in 2024.
- Subject options
- Testimonials from our Head Students and current Year 9 students
- Information on how we support student's learning and achievement
- Co-curricular activities including music, sports, clubs and cultural opportunities
- Taumata (Houses) of HVHS.
Click here to read the 2024 Prospectus.
International Student Enrolments
How to enrol:
- Complete the International Student's enrolment form: hvhs.enrol.school.nz.
- Give it to your agent to send to the school.
- If the application is accepted, an Offer of Place will be sent to your agent.
- This offer can only be confirmed when fees are paid.