Reporting and Communication
At HVHS, we believe students’ interests are best served when we work together, in a partnership with our parents and whanau. Communication is the key to happy schooling.
Here are some of the systems and practices that we encourage and support:
- Online real time reporting
- Deans who progress with their year group
- Mentor teachers who progress with their class from Year 9 to Year 10
- Small mentor groupings (12-14)
- introductory phone calls and emails home at the beginning of the year
- Contact with home when issues arise - "No Surprises'
- Year 9 Meet and Greet
- Year 10 Beginning of the Year BBQ
- Year 9 and 10 Learning Conversations twice a year
- Interim reports in Term One and full written reports in Term Two
- Whanau Support Group and Whanau Steering Group
- KAMAR PARENT PORTAL access for parents to students' key academic and attendance data
- EdAlta moodle Learning Management System
- Weekly newsletter
- Information evenings
- Cultural evenings
- Parent involvement with sports and cultural groups.
All parents and caregivers are given access to Kamar Parent Portal. Kamar is our Student Management System and shares real-time timely feedback on the progress a student is making. We encourage parents and caregivers to visit this site at least once a week to view daily attendance, academic results, including NCEA progress, student timetables, notices, groups, awards and contact details.
Early in Term 1 there is a ‘Meet and Greet’ evening for Year 9 and 10 parents and caregivers. This evening is an informal opportunity for you to meet your child's mentor and subject teachers.
Attitude to Learning reports are emailed home 4 times a year. These are very good guides as to the progress that your child is making. They document their effort, behaviour, readiness to learn and completion of work.
Year 9 and 10 students have 30 minute Learning Conversations with their Mentor Teacher and family in Term One and again in Term Four.